Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Call

I watched The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian last night on DVD. I saw it in the theater, but because it is one of my favorite movies I just HAD to get it on DVD. The day it was released. The film is pretty different from the book, by the way. The C.S. Lewis fangirl in my cringed a bit at this, but the William Mosely fangirl in me liked it just fine (I have officially added him to my list of "shaggy haired British boys who are far to young for me to be crushing on". He shares this dubious honor with Daniel Radcliffe and Robert Pattinson). Either way, it's great movie, and if you haven't seen it, then you should run, not walk, to your nearest video store and rent it.

The ending scene in the movie has a wonderful song playing in the background : The Call, sung by Regina Spektor. She has a lovely voice, and the song is just so beautiful and plaintive and poignant that I decided to post a link to it here.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Like you, I thought the movie was great. They should have given it a different title or something, though. It was waaayy different from the book. I think that the two things that bugged me most were A.) Susan. In the book she is tenderhearted. She makes a point to stay away from battles. In the movie, she is like Xena or something.
B.) Aslan, or lack thereof in the movie. The book had him featured more, like him breathing on Edmund to make him seem more formidable. Oh, and another thing was Peter!! He was such a jerk in the movie and he almost turned to the witch!!! The one had wanted to kill him just one year before!! Just goes to show how Hollywood can take something so beautiful (Aslan the Saviour, Susan the lady, and Peter the faith-filled leader) and turn it into something else. Sorry this turned into such a long rant :}

Valerie said...

I definitely agree with you about Susan and Aslan, but I have to admit I wasn't so bothered by Peter's crisis of faith. I think that's something a lot of people have to deal with; learning to put aside pride and self, and instead wait patiently for things to happen in God's time. Definitely something I have had to struggle with!

Kelli said...

I guess that seeing the movie had I never read the book I wouldn't have been bothered. He was just so grumpy throughout the movie and had a "my way or else" attitude that was so different from the book.