Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe

I like to cook (and to eat!) so from time to time I may post a few of my favorite recipes here on the blog. You'll find that most of them have this in common -- they are easy to make, don't require tons of time or ingredients, and are generally kid friendly. Although my kids will eat anything, so your mileage may vary. Today I thought I'd post the recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip. This is a great snack potluck functions or parties (Iron Bowl party, anyone?). You will need:

  1. About 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken. I like to use those frozen chicken breasts, but if you are in a hurry a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is great.
  2. One 24 oz bottle of Ranch dressing
  3. One bottle of your favorite buffalo sauce. I usually get either Frank's or Moore's.
  4. Two 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened.
  5. Eight oz shredded cheddar cheese
Bake the chicken til it is done. If you are using a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and pull the meat off the bones. Chop the chicken into small bits and put it in the bottom of a 13x9 in casserole dish. Drizzle the buffalo sauce over the chicken; you can use a lot or a little, depending on how spicy you want it to be. In a separate bowl blend the cream cheese and the whole bottle of Ranch dressing together, then spread this mixture evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar over the top. Bake the whole thing in a 350 degree oven til it is hot and bubbly and the cheddar has melted. Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos.

I got this recipe from a coworker and it has become a favorite weekend treat at my house. It is great to have while watching movies or sports, and as a bonus it reheats well in the microwave. Hope you like it!

P.S. If you are feeling really lazy or just want to make this ahead of time, you can just dump all the ingredients in a crockpot on low for a couple of hours (cook the chicken first!). It will still be tasty but won't look nearly as appetizing.

2 comments:

Lily said...

Another great way to cut down your prep. time is to use canned chicken. I work with Swanson Chicken and we use their white meat chicken breast in the dip. It's 100% white meat and everybody has been ranting and raving about the recipe! Here's my version:
Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 (9 3/4 ounce) cans swanson premium chunk chicken breasts, drained
1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce
1/2 cup bleu cheese salad dressing
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
assorted fresh vegetables
crackers

Directions
1. Stir cream cheese in 9" pie baking dish until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
22. Bake at 350°F for 20 minute until hot and bubbling. Stir.

Serve with vegetables and crackers.

Valerie said...

I have tried the canned chicken before and it is definitely easier, but I don't especially care for canned chiken so I rarely use it. I like the idea of bleu cheese crumbles though! Too bad I'm the only person at my house who likes the stuff. . . Maybe I'll try that for my next potluck at work!