Friday, January 23, 2009

Chicken Salad, As You Like It

I love me some chicken salad. Love love love it. When it's made right, that is. And I must say, I make some seriously good chicken salad. Feeling that it is unfair to keep this delicious concoction all to myself, I'm going to post the recipe here.

Ok, it's your basic fruited chicken salad. I never measure the ingredients, so just add as much or as little as you want of each (hence the title "As You Like It")

You will need:

Chicken
Apples
Grapes
Walnuts
Green Onion
Mayonnaise
Sour Cream
Lawry's Season Salt
Pepper

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and bake it in the oven til it's done. While it is cooking, chop the green onions and put them in a bowl. Then do the same with the apples. Slice the grapes in half and put them in the bowl. Once the chicken is done, dice it and put it in the bowl too. then add equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream, season it all with the Lawry's salt and some freshly ground black pepper, and top it with chopped walnuts. Serve on croissants, toast, crackers, or straight from the bowl. Deeeeelish!

I like to use Granny Smith apples, but any kind will work. If I use green apples I use red grapes, and vice versa, for a really nice color contrast. The finished product is a great textural, visual, and taste (tastual?) contrast with the soft chicken and the crunchy fruit and nuts, the sweet fruit and the tangy dressing, and the bite of the pepper.

I also keep promising myself that I will someday make a tropical version of this, using mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, and macadamia nuts in place of apples, grapes, and walnuts, and maybe topping it with some shredded coconut. If anyone else gets around to trying this before I do, let me know how it turns out, ok?

No comments: