Saturday, May 2, 2009

Adventures in the land of luxury cosmetics

I'm a cheap makeup kind of girl. Chances are, if they don't have it at Walgreens, it's probably not in my makeup bag. I'm lucky to have skin that isn't sensitive, so I don't have to go to the mall and spend $70 on a half ounce of foundation, y'know?

But. . .

I redeemed some credit card rewards and got a couple of gift cards to Sephora. So I decided that today I'd mosey on down to the fancy schmancy makeup store and see what all the fuss is about. It's been a lousy, crazy-busy week, and sometimes a girl just wants to treat herself to a little luxury.

It was AWESOME. Makeup, skin products, nail polish and perfume as far as the eye could see. Black clad sales associates falling all over themselves to help me. I usually prefer to browse uninterrupted, but I'd checked out their products online and wanted to see some samples of Bare Escentual Mineral Makeup. So I let them do a "foundation consultation" where a nice young woman named Sarah Beth showed me how to apply the powder foundation and extolled the virtues of the product. I ended up buying the starter kit (no need to tell Sarah Beth I'd planned on buying it before I ever walked in the door. . . I love my internet research). I also fell in love with Urban Decay eyeliner, which actually does glide on smoothly and stays put forever. I tested a couple of shades on the back of my hand 8 hours ago and still haven't managed to rub them off! At $16 a pop I won't be buying many of them, but I couldn't resist splurging on one, in a metallic rocker-chic silver. And I'll probably buy more later.

Just don't tell the nice folks at Sephora that I'll probably be buying them on ebay.

No comments: